RE: "We did not know" is not a good excuse

2016-04-06 23:32:53
Dave,

How do we move on so:
- this problem does not recur

What you probably /do/ mean is that further venue selections avoid
places that effectively serve to exclude participation by various
constituencies.

What I mean, and I have no reason to doubt the good intentions and diligence of
the IAOC and Meetings Committee, is that we need to avoid situations where:

- the IAOC is unaware of the strength of feeling in the community on a selection
issue
- the IAOC is unaware of travel issues for a particular venue
- the community is surprised by the choice of venue
- the venue, host, sponsor, IAOC, IETF, are embarrassed by the reaction to a
venue announcement

It may be true that the community could provide a list of vetoed and approved
locations for the Meetings Committee to work with. That is a possible approach.
Another approach might be for the Meetings Committee to suggest some venues and
see what the community feels (this has happened before with a poll on some
venues that Ray sent to the community).

But I want to spec the problem, not engineer a solution. I trust the IAOC to
develop a solution to the problem that works with the other issues they have to
handle. And I trust them to bring the solution forward soon.

Adrian