Re: "We did not know" is not a good excuse

2016-04-07 17:12:50
On 4/7/16, 1:15 PM, "ietf on behalf of Adrian Farrel"
<ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org on behalf of
adrian(_at_)olddog(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:

A practical issue is that announcing a venue before there is a contract
in place for the meeting site impairs our ability to negotiate the
contract.

We are engineering.
But I will break a rule and go there.

I don't see that saying "we are considering Hong Kong, Singapore, and Manila"
reduces our ability to negotiate in Singapore. Maybe it even strengthens it.

But there we go. Looks like sometimes we may need to pay a price to get what we
want. The loss on cancelation may be greater than the loss on negotiation.

There have been periodic surveys after meetings, and there have certainly been
questions in there regarding potential sites with a means of adding comments.

It seems like this practice should continue.

        Tony