Re: Concerns about Singapore

2016-04-10 20:17:17
Brian E Carpenter <brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> writes:

On 11/04/2016 02:48, Michael StJohns wrote:
On 4/10/2016 10:45 AM, Randy Bush wrote:
it was clean unfettered Internet.  some local folk stuck their necks out
very far to accomplish this.  it was definitely different than one got
outside of the ietf meeting network.  this has been a condition placed
on hosts and beijing was no exception.
This surprises me - "this has been a condition placed on hosts...".

In the case of Beijing it was very clear from the earliest discussions,
going back to 2005 and before, to my personal knowledge.

I repeat - "where" have the local hosts/laws specified conditions that
resulted in the IETF network content access being
markedly different than that accessible to the random local citizen?

Why is that relevant? The criterion is: can the IETF do its work properly?
Of which a sub-criterion is: will there be clean unfettered Internet at
the meeting site?

It's certainly relevant to me, b/c I don't personally think that IETF
meetings should be held in oppressive and censoring countries. I don't
know how to articulate this well -- others are better at it -- but I
certainly would like to skip any meetings that I feel violate IETFs
value of openness so that I can at least vote with my feet and my
dollars.

Thanks,
Chris.

How RFC 4084 applies in the local coffee shops is another matter.

   Brian