Re: UK blacklist (Re: Concerns about Singapore and other places)

2016-04-12 16:28:04
On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 5:09 PM, Harald Alvestrand
<harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no>
wrote:

Den 12. april 2016 18:52, skrev Ted Lemon:
The UK filter is an "opt out" filter, and I assume that we (the IETF)
opted out.   Even the "opt out" blocking is voluntary at present--an ISP
is not required by law to have a filter, but in practice the big ones do.

The particular case that made the blacklist famous in at least some
fora, and exposed quite a bit on how it worked:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Watch_Foundation_and_Wikipedia

"the action also had some indirect effects on Wikipedia, namely
temporarily preventing all editors using said ISPs in the UK from

​this ​

​is PROBABLY also for 'consumer isp connections' mostly and not 'business
isp' links, which the IETF uses at meetings. I suspect, anyway.. else you
may filter on the dsl/ftth/dial network AND re-filter on the backbone-isp
network and again if there's a third tier...

so the IETF simply sidestepped by pretending to be an 'enterprise' network.​