Re: Concerns about Singapore

2016-04-10 09:41:24

On Sun, 10 Apr 2016, Michael StJohns wrote:

This surprises me - "this has been a condition placed on hosts...". Could you
enlighten us as to which [and I'll try to be precise here] other IETFs had a
condition where the content accessible by the IETF network was markedly
different from the content of say the network at a local Starbuck's equivalent
wifi hot spot just down the street from the IETF and where that was mandated
by the hosts and/or local laws?  I mean besides Beijing?   Key words "markedly
different" and "content accessible".

Mike

The IETF has a meeting network requirements document that specifies a
number of parameters which includes no blocking. Markedly different in
terms of content may not apply in most places, reasonable bandwidth
most certainly does, as does port restrictions (usually by stupid
configuration by clueless operators). And if you've ever stayed in
some random hotel you will know what I mean.

Ole