Re: Transparency of IAOC

2016-04-12 15:34:34
On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 4:00 PM, SM <sm(_at_)resistor(_dot_)net> wrote:

Is it appropriate to ask questions to the IAOC?  I don't see people who
have been part of the "leadership" doing that.  Maybe, it will be viewed as
politically incorrect and it is not good for a person's IETF career.  In
other words, it is a matter of perception.

I feel I can speak as an authority on this topic when I say that there is
zero chance that this is a problem.   If the IAOC do not always do what we
want, it is because (a) that is impossible, since there is no "we" that is
both in agreement and also representative of the wishes of all IETF
participants and (b) I know everybody on the IAOC and they just don't
behave as if they think complaining by IESG people is a problem.   Granted,
that's not necessarily always a good thing, but IESG people say plenty of
things to the IAOC about stuff like this, and I have never seen them act in
the slightest bit impatient about it.   Not only that, but we had a BoF in
BA about this topic.

Importantly, while the IESG is officially the host for IETFs, and therefore
obviously should have some say in this sort of thing, if we want more
transparency from the IAOC, it is we, the participants in the IETF, who are
responsible for asking for it, not the IESG, except to the extent that like
us, they are participants.