Re: IETF 100, IAOC perspective

2016-06-09 10:29:47
On 06/08/2016 08:13 PM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
I understand that, but then all our debate has been 99% useless.

At LEAST we need to make sure that the Singapore government know that we go
there most probably because we have no other choice at this point in time for
planning another venue, and that we will most probably not return if the laws
keep the same.

For some reason I'm reminded of the (apparent) belief of old NetNews
denizens that one could shape the Real World by rearranging the
hierarchy of NetNews group names (remember soc.religion.islam.ahmadi?)

While the IETF has great influence over many things, this idea vastly
overestimates our influence.

I'd be surprised if any government official in the parts of Singapore
government that deal with this kind of issues even knows we're coming.
We may have IT-related contacts, and telling them that we've had this
debate will cause no harm, but the threat of IETF formally boycotting
Singapore is .... less than awe-inspiring.