Re: IETF 100, IAOC perspective

2016-06-09 15:17:57

On 9 Jun 2016, at 10:31 PM, Eliot Lear <lear(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:

Hi Melinda,

On 6/9/16 8:39 PM, Melinda Shore wrote:
Personally, I did not go because
it was clearly going to be very expensive to attend,
regardless.

I don't think it was more expensive than any meeting that would have
occurred in Asia.  While agreeing with you that cost is a factor, I just
want to point out the conflict between that factor and 1-1-1*.  Patrick
McManus stated in the earlier megathread words to the effect that he
didn't think there was a need for 3 plenary meetings per year.  I
personally would like to not lose track of that point.  Would it make
sense to do an experiment such that we drop one meeting for one year and
instead require active working groups to hold an Interim or several
virtual interims that fairly distribute timezone pain?

I’m very much opposed to encouraging F2F interim meetings. They almost
invariably have very poor facilities for remote participation. If you’re lucky
you get audio streaming from the meeting room and a jabber channel going back,
and none of the microphone discipline that we have in a plenary meeting. Also
no NOC team to fix stuff if it goes wrong.

Both httpbis and tls have recently made extensive use of F2F interims. The
result was that in order to participate effectively in the discussion you
needed to travel six times a year. I suppose if you were interested only in
that working group you could skip the plenary meetings and attend just the
interims, because the plenary had just 2 sessions and passable remote
participation facilities. But if you didn’t attend the interims in person, you
might as well have listened to a recording after the fact.

Yoav