Re: Value and respect [Re: IETF 100, IAOC perspective]

2016-06-10 15:24:53
I had posted earlier a note asking for respectful discussion.
Since then there’s been discussion of what comments are
or are not appropriate, and separate topics of respectful
communication, families and off-topic discussion.

We could have an interesting debate perhaps on the
other topics, but in my mind the issue of respectful
communication is crystal clear. RFC 7154 says:

   The work of the IETF relies on cooperation among a diverse range of
   people with different ideas and communication styles.  The IETF
   strives, through these guidelines for conduct, to create and maintain
   an environment in which every person is treated with dignity,
   decency, and respect.

Note that there is no exception to any particular category of
persons. My read of the RFC is that yes, indeed, we need
to treat all participants with respect.

Jari