Re: Value and respect [Re: IETF 100, IAOC perspective]

2016-06-10 15:21:42
On 6/10/16 12:07 PM, Masataka Ohta wrote:
There are several people speaking against Singapore, as if same
sex marriage were internationally agreed basic human right.

For the purpose of clarity, and in hopes that we can
stick to the facts (to the extent they're known), the
issue with Singapore is not that they do not recognize
same-sex marriage but that they have laws criminalizing
same-sex relationships.

Again, this is not about same-sex marriage.

I do think that we could probably benefit from being
a little more rigorous about what it means to be an
organization in which the primary consideration for
participation is the ability to make technical contributions.
To the extent that there are conditions that exclude
people (or make it more difficult for them) on the basis
of matters unrelated to technical chops, we fall short
of the goal of being both open and meritocratic.

Melinda