Re: Value and respect [Re: IETF 100, IAOC perspective]

2016-06-10 15:07:56
Donald Eastlake wrote:

I'm sure there are IETF participants who, for example, believe that
certain religions or sexual orientations are evil. They don't have to
change their mind or speak in favor of those things. But they should not in
the IETF context, not to speak or act against them.

There are several people speaking against Singapore, as if same
sex marriage were internationally agreed basic human right.

I do not believe it is the role of the IETF as a technical organization to
lobby on issues of discrimination policy but in meeting selection among the
factors being balanced must be the comfort and peace of mind of a wide
variety of contributors.

That's fine as long as the "wide variety of contributors" include
people living with culture against LGBT. They feel uncomfortable
and disturbed if meeting is not held around them merely because
some other think the cultural variation is beyond the "wide variety".

On the family issue, I would point out that we have had and do have nursing
mothers or disabled persons as IETF participants and leaders. They need to
bring their infants or assistants (frequently family members) and for this
reason the ability to bring family is a factor.

Your argument is too weak as a reason to avoid some location
that it is already denied by the following "smoking marihuana"
argument of mine, I'm afraid.

: Just recently, in Japan, a person smoking marijuana as terminal
: care for cancer was arrested, even though the person says it
: is basic human right to smoke marijuana to avoid irresistable
: pain from the cancer.

: What if, you are smoking marijuana as terminal care for cancer
: and the next and, for you, the last, IETF meeting will be held
: in Japan?

                                                        Masataka Ohta