Re: Value and respect [Re: IETF 100, IAOC perspective]

2016-06-10 12:25:04
People seems to be very confused about respect in the IETF.

Of course people can think what they want and love/hate national origin /
skin color / gender / gender-orientation / etc. But the primary thing is
that they are required to respect participants technical input, regardless
of such factors. And, in order to promote the civilized discourse that is
required to resolve technical issues, they are required, in the IETF
context, to refrain from statements or actions that disrespect or attack
participants because of such irrelevant factors regardless of what they
think. I'm sure there are IETF participants who, for example, believe that
certain religions or sexual orientations are evil. They don't have to
change their mind or speak in favor of those things. But they should not in
the IETF context, not to speak or act against them. In most IETF
discussions, there is no reason to speak of such things.

I do not believe it is the role of the IETF as a technical organization to
lobby on issues of discrimination policy but in meeting selection among the
factors being balanced must be the comfort and peace of mind of a wide
variety of contributors. And, if we turn down a facility for a meeting due
to problems with local laws or customs, we should certainly tell that
facility why.

On the family issue, I would point out that we have had and do have nursing
mothers or disabled persons as IETF participants and leaders. They need to
bring their infants or assistants (frequently family members) and for this
reason the ability to bring family is a factor.

Thanks,
Donald
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 d3e3e3(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com