Re: Value and respect [Re: IETF 100, IAOC perspective]

2016-06-10 10:53:20
On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 4:59 PM, Brian E Carpenter <
brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

On 09/06/2016 18:58, somebody wrote:
IAOC Chair wrote:

We, and we believe the whole IETF, value and respect our LGBTQ
participants
and their families.

No, I don't value their families.

Moreover, it is wrong for IETF as an international technical
body to force or expect its members value and respect LGBT.

I don't think we should let this stand in our archive without comment.

Personally, I value the families of all participants equally (including
that of the sender of the quoted message). I also expect all IETF
participants to value and respect each other regardless of everything
personal about them

+1

I was going to respond. And then I thought probably best leave it to
someone else.

What does worry me somewhat is that we are an international organization
and we don't seem to have discussed the issue with the local LGBT
community. During the debate on same sex marriage in the US we had a lot of
pointed attacks on the UK position being a 'sell out' which were rather
unfortunate if you don't understand that until quite recently England and
Wales the only 'marriages' that were recognized by the state were those
that took place in CoE churches. If you were a member of my church, a civil
union was the only option open for over two hundred years.