Re: IETF Mailing Lists and DMARC

2016-11-02 17:00:58

On Nov 2, 2016, at 1:00 PM, Michael Richardson
<mcr+ietf(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca> wrote:

Cullen Jennings <fluffy(_at_)iii(_dot_)ca> wrote:
So if someone send a email with a bad signature to an IETF list from a
domain that has a reject policy, and the IETF server forwards it to my
email email provider, my email provider rejects it. Now the IETF email
server counts that as a bounce. Too many bounces in a row and the IETF
server unsubscribes me from the list.

This does not seem OK that anyone can trivially send some SPAM and get
me unsubscribed.

yeah, that's a real problem isn't it.

After nearly three years of yelling about this problem, we are not even close
to consensus that it's a problem, with many people suggesting that IETF
mailing
list software should just munge headers.

My apologies for not checking the archives. I did try but I downloaded a mbox
file from one of the IETF mail archive tools that when I importated that into
mail.crapp just turned out not to really be a valid mbox file and just turned
into one email - anyways, I digress about our broken tools.

So how do we get this fixed ? Has someone talked to the IESG about this? Right
now as a chair, I am making consensus calls that are probably ignoring any
emails from people from google.com - and other - because I am not getting their
email. That seems like a serious process problem.