Re: [dmarc-ietf] IETF Mailing Lists and DMARC

2016-11-02 15:05:43
Since its inception, this has been the "Achilles' heel" of DKIM without a Signature Policy Authorization framework. i.e. authorizing 3rd party mail processors, such as a list manager/server or could bring the integrity and/or resign the mail as a 3rd party.

The IETF abandoned the proposed standard ADSP RFC (and hence any add-on extension work like ATPS) and replaced it with an informative DMARC RFC described as a "Super ADSP" without resolving the 3rd party authorization problem.

ATPS was the original proposed standard to authorize the first party signature and combined with ADSP extension ATPS, it covered the Third Party Signature authorization.

ADSP/ATPS actually works very well. Its been in production for a number of years. I have "ietf.org" as a 3rd party signer assigned to my ATPS records in DNS. Supportive receivers can then see that I authorize ietf.org to sign my IETF submissions as my receivers do when I get a copy. My ADSP record for isdg.net is:

dkim=all; atps=y; asl=ietf.org,beta.winserver.com,santronics.com,isdg.net,winserver.com,megabytecof
fee.com,mapurdy.com.au,mipassoc.org,gmail.com,googlegroups.com;"

The asl list contains my small list of authorized list servers plus other 3rd party associates. For the larger "registered" list, the "atps=" says to lookup the ATPS record the signer domain in the author's zone. It works very well. This wizards helps illustrates how records are created updated for the DMARC record:

    http://www.winserver.com/public/wcdmarc/default.wct

However, this solution requires a "Registration Of 3rd party Domains" solution, i.e. you have to learn/teach your personal network of email domains and registered them somehow for others to lookup query and many feel this won't scale. It won't for some, it will for others.

Now there is the ARC effort that could help resolve the problem, iff everyone supports it. IMO, it appears complex (doc is very verbose). I believe it has RFC5222 overhead related code changes. If you have an API ready for it, it should help. While receivers still need to support it, not all receivers use the same API base code.

I was not happy when a big investment was lost when the IETF abandoned (incorrect in my opinion) the ADSP work in particular when DMARC effectively replaced ADSP, literally described as a "Super ADSP" and it didn't offer any 3rd party policy support whatsoever. So I am not too eager to jump on more IETF DKIM, including ARC, related work. DMARC is not complete. Its not even a proposed standard. Lots of work still needs to be done but I'm sure that RFC status can change when desired by the key cogs. All I would like to see is for DMARC to begin offering 3rd party policy models with known solutions that include simple DNS lookup like ADSP/ATPS offered. It shouldn't be limited to just ARC.

That said, the only other current way to resolve this with DMARC is to relax your policy to "p=none"

By making it "p=reject" all DMARC compatible receivers are designed to reject it when its signed by 3rd party signers and/or the original mail integrity, hence 1st party signature, is broken.

--
HLS