Re: [dmarc-ietf] IETF Mailing Lists and DMARC

2016-11-03 17:03:57
On Thu, Nov 03, 2016 at 05:30:20PM +0000, Terry Zink wrote:

The average Internet user doesn't understand DMARC. The average
person on an Internet mailing list doesn't understand DMARC either,
and even the average tech person on a mailing list doesn't
understand DMARC. All they know is that their mailing list doesn't
work, or that they have been unsubscribed. Only people who work on
DMARC understand DMARC.

IETF contributers aren't exactly "the average Internet user"..... (Or
are Linux Kernel contributors, since kernel.org is one of the other
lists where your use of a domain that uses DMARC not considered the
mailing list administrators' problem; and degrading everyone else's
mailing list experience just for 'the average Internet user' is
something they have chosen not to do.)

Asking the average person to switch their email address just so that
they can participate in mailing lists isn't a solution.

It certainly isn't a long term solution; I think we all hope ARC can
get successfully deployed soon.

                                                - Ted