Re: IPv10 (Temp. name IPmix) (draft-omar-ipv10-00.txt).

2016-12-31 13:50:47
On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 11:18 PM, Randy Bush <randy(_at_)psg(_dot_)com> wrote:

and, let me repeat for the fourth time, enterprises of scale use
dhcp to drive clients to the desired exit.  dhcp6 does not let
them do that.  without feature parity we don't get to play.

randy

I'm not getting exactly what you are saying.

When you say "use dhcp to drive clients to the desired exit", which exit do
are you referring to?  The local subnet exit, AKA the local exit router?
Or, are you referring to an enterprise level exit?

But, I agree there are several problems with DHCPv6 and its parity with
DHCPv4, and this is a serious barrier to enterprise adoption of IPv6.  My
favored to harp on is that they use different primary keys to identify a
host, DHCPv4 uses MAC address and DHCPv6 uses DUID.  I understand why, but
it is still an operational nightmare.

Thanks.

David Farmer               Email:farmer(_at_)umn(_dot_)edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952