Re: If Muslims are blocked by the U.S., should the IETF respond?

2017-01-29 18:43:32
Responding to the original question:

Indeed, MTGVENUE is the place to discuss the impacts of this
and other potential issues to how we select future meeting locations.

Now would be a great time to read the documents and participate
the discussion. For what it is worth, the IAOC and its meetings
committee are also tracking the situation, including understanding
specific impacts. And obviously this is a developing situation and
the long term is more interesting than this week’s particular
issue.

As for possible other reactions — maybe, but it isn’t as
obvious. Clearly, I think we all are unhappy about this
development.  And I have not met anybody at the IETF who
wouldn’t stand for open participation. SM posted ACM’s
statement.

But, if I look again at the crystal ball of obvious predictions,
I wouldn’t be surprised if recent trends would at some point
also generate some Internet-related bad policy suggestions.
This is just my 0.02μBTC but I personally would want to
prioritise putting my time to dealing with those situations,
be it about making statements or developing some tech
to help the situation. As we have done in the case of
pervasive monitoring, for instance. But again, just my
personal opinion.

Jari