Re: IETF Last Call conclusion for draft-ietf-6man-rfc2460bis-08

2017-03-30 04:31:36
I think this is hitting on a very important point about protocol transition
here, something that I think all of us should step back and consider from a
very humble vantage point.

The transition from IPv4 to IPv6 has been hard, certainly much harder than I
think the contributors to RFC2460 originally expected. We've had to go back
after the fact to define and perfect things like NAT64 to sit at the boundary
of IPv6-only networks, allowing communication between IPv6-only and IPv4-only
endpoints by inserting and deleting IPv6 and IPv4 headers.

The whole idea of an extension header is to extend the capabilities of IPv6.
Extended functions naturally come with transition, and transition happens
progressively. Inserting and deleting an extension header is analogous to a
NAT64 function - not something we necessarily want, but something we have
realized we need, to handle transition within the reality that wide spread flag
days are impossible.

If I take IPv6 SR as an example of an extended IPv6 function, some endpoints
will support IPv6 SR sooner than others. Some network domains will operate with
IPv6 SR everywhere sooner than others. The ability to classify traffic and
insert an SR header upon entry into an SR domain is important to transition,
and is completely analogous to what, say, T-Mobile does with NAT64 and 464xlat.

Suresh, I think this may be a tussle point (to refer to Dave Clark's
presentation earlier this evening). 2460bis should not try to over-specify
here. Instead, allow for a bit of flex while we truly get our heads around how
to deploy and operate systems which use IPv6 extension headers.

- Mark

On Mar 29, 2017, at 9:59 PM, Leddy, John <John_Leddy(_at_)comcast(_dot_)com>