Re: IAOC requesting input on (potential) meeting cities

2017-04-26 09:08:14

Toerless Eckert <tte(_at_)cs(_dot_)fau(_dot_)de> wrote:
    > For example, there is a lot of death by powerpoint in meetings that
    > pushes off high bandwidth discussions ("oh, we're out of time"). AFAIK,
    > most active work on drafts during IETF meeting week happens outside of

I am among those who pushes back on death by powerpoint, so I agree with you
strongly.  Presentations are very easily supported through completely remote
attendance.  Concurrent jabber back-channel discussion among the participants
can often bring out points that are sometimes lost in the foreground
presentation.

{Maybe we should dispense with the meeting rooms, just wire the hotel rooms
for GbE, and all be on-site, but "remote".  Then the critical criteria for
which city to meet in is reduced to where the best beer can be had.  (And so
Prague wins?)}

But, on somewhat more serious note [note lack of :-) above], I have been told
the following features about the deathly powerpoints:
  1) provides a record of thoughts for later on.
  2) permits non-english speakers to understand what is being said by
     other non-english speakers!!!
  3) can be pushed through google-translate.
  4) can be read ahead of time by chairs and participants so that they
     can ask intelligent questions, and/or can allocate appropriate amounts
     of time.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-