Re: Structure of IETF meeting weeks

2017-04-19 10:03:15
On 4/19/2017 7:53 AM, joel jaeggli wrote:
Time to meet and space work with your co-authors and collaborators is a
pretty important part of why IETF meetings have any value at all to me
as an individual contributor.

If there is serious interest in having more unstructured time available, remove less-productive wg sessions and reconsider carefully each of the ewstablished 'extra-curricular' time slots that are scheduled -- my own favorite target is Bits-n-Bites -- for possible elimination.

There is relatively little filtering on working group slot requests, and worse there's no real aid for working group chairs, to help them plan and manage sessions more effectively.

We periodically have public discussions about this latter issue and there are documents that say the right things. However chairs often have little experience with such 'project' management and few have -- or should be expected to have -- natural talents in that arena.

Professional project planning and management assistance for chairs, and careful vetting of wg progress as a filter for wg time requests, would produce fewer and shorter sessions and better use of time.

d/
--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking