Re: Revamp of the www.ietf.org website

2017-07-17 16:09:15
Jordi,

Three observations.

* Noting that assorted social media are, from time to time, more
or less effectively blocked in assorted countries, I think we
need to be sure that all IETF participants are able to get to
all IETF announcements and materials on an equal basis unless
the IETF itself is blocked.  If someone wants to reflect IETF
announcements into some social media or supplemental mailing
list, that is fine and has been going on for years, but
substantive announcements and discussions need to stay on IETF
mailing lists and be archived on IETF facilities or we end up
with big openness and transparency problems.

* Precisely because the IETF has some very large vendors among
its supporters, our being able to continue to claim that we are
not biased toward those vendors and that our standards decisions
are not for sale, we need to be careful about not forcing people
to contribute to the bottom line of those companies in order to
participate.  We've been reasonably careful (much more careful
than some other SDOs) to not require someone to purchase some
particular work processing package or office suite to
participate.   I suggest that, if the IETF is going to get tied
up with Social Media, the system(s) used must be ones that do
not have business models involving  "user as product", targeted
advertising to users, permission to spam users, or requirements
that users give up significant privacy in order to join, get
feeds. or equ9ivalent.  Again, if someone wants to re-{post,
chirp, tweet, vomit, etc.} materials from an IETF mailing list,
I think we have always allowed thet.  However, IMO, the IETF
needs to be really careful about getting more directly involved.

* I share Martin's concern about page size, complexity, and load
times, especially if we are serious about trying to involve
people in developing countries and otherwise with with marginal
connections.

best,
    john

--On Monday, July 17, 2017 21:35 +0200 JORDI PALET MARTINEZ