Re: Revamp of the www.ietf.org website

2017-07-18 05:16:17
On 18 Jul 2017, at 03:42, Brian E Carpenter
<brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

On 15/07/2017 21:21, Russ Housley wrote:
For example, in response to the feedback provided, there is now a single
page that provides links to tools and resources commonly used by active IETF
participants.

Thank you for that. The only thing is, it's not really a single page; I had
to hit Page Down 4 times to see everything. On the current page
(https://www.ietf.org/content.html) there's all that on one screen. Surely
there must be a way to present the content more compactly, when not on a tiny
screen, and with a default font size.

I sent a very similar response to the feedback address.  It’s really
frustrating to have both the main page, and the Tools page, so inefficient that
you have to scroll, and scroll, and scroll.

The front page seems to be in the same style as many web sites now, and is
clearly aimed much more at non-IETF people than those doing work in the IETF.
I get that, but it’s then frustrating that the page for IETF participants is
also inefficient.

Can we not make the Tools page (button top right) more like the current IETF
home page, which pretty much renders in one screen, and has all the links that
IETF participants would commonly want, including the next meeting panel.

I mention that here because I think it's a very general point. I've entered
tickets for some details, and I would encourage everybody to do that, because
inevitably there will be errors in content conversion, and the more eyes
looking for them, the better.

The response I got was basically “come and discuss it in person in Prague” -
the new site designer(s) are here, near the registration desk.  It’s not clear
what feedback is sticking, or not :)

Tim