RE: Use of XML as a basis for e-mail

2004-02-02 08:00:35

        While, as you point out, XML has problems with size/memory usage and
binary data (still solvable), what about using ASN.1.  ASN.1 can handle
binary data, and uses a minimum amount of data to represent the same basic
structures.  It also has the advantage of coding integers and dates in
machine readable format, rather then make the computer reparse that info.

Argh, no, no, no.

If the choice is between XML and ASN.1, I'd choose XML any day, even though I don't particularly like it. ASN.1 is loathesome IMHO..

Paul                            VPOP3 - Internet Email Server/Gateway
support(_at_)pscs(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk                     http://www.pscs.co.uk/