Re: the evils of quoting

2004-02-03 10:37:20

On 3-feb-04, at 18:06, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:

This is evil. Too bad you can't shoot people who do this.

who set you up as the arbiter of appropriate behavior on the internet?

Users create an email in a way that's comfortable for them. It's their email. it's their computer.

But I have to read it, that's the problem.

who are you (or any of us) to demand how they do things to our convenience and preferences?

It's a simple question of common courtesy and - sense. Inconveniencing (many) others in order to save a few keystrokes is not a nice thing to do. And it makes no sense: what's the use of repeating the message that is being replied to _after_ the reply? Either the reader wanted to see the quote but then obviously _before_ reading the reply, or the reader isn't interested in the old text anyway. In either case, no need to repeat it, especially not in full.

10 years ago just about everyone did this right but these stupid newbies that think the internet was created just for them seem to think they know everything better. (Also: "No, I type just as fast with two fingers, why would I have to learn to touch type?" or "But I _like_ formatting my letters using the space bar!") And unfortunately many people who know better don't bother doing it right anymore.

Just two quick additional remarks:

1. Header values don't have to span multiple lines and where necessary special characters can be escaped. 2. Obviously a mailng system isn't going to support windows 1252 or ibm 439 or what have you: everything that's not 7 bit ascii must be unicode.