Re: the evils of quoting, was: Use of XML as a basis for e-mail

2004-02-03 10:07:12

On Feb 3, 2004, at 1:58 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

This is evil. Too bad you can't shoot people who do this.
(apologies, paul)

who set you up as the arbiter of appropriate behavior on the internet?

Users create an email in a way that's comfortable for them. It's their email. it's their computer.

who are you (or any of us) to demand how they do things to our convenience and preferences?

If I went to you and said "you have to stop putting capital letters on the start of your sentences" you'd laugh and tell me to buzz off, and should.

well, look in a mirror when you start telling others how they should write their emails...

either that, or write an RFC and get it approved on how appropriate syntax and grammar of an e-mail should be managed. Without that, it's just you saying "I like it this way, how you like it doesn't matter". And that's not how the internet is. Or should be.