Re: a few short notes

2004-02-03 09:52:10

On Feb 3, 2004, at 12:16 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
Also, it just doesn't make any sense.

Right off the bat?

1) multi-line entries: your stuff has to special case input="blah
blah
blah
blah"

2) boundary characters: your stuff has to special case input="blah said "blah to you, blah"!"

(parse THAT properly!)

Those kind of special case encodings pretty nicely summarizes the heritage of SMTP, too, adn what we want to get away from. Because you start out with a fairly simple and 'easy' scheme, and then as people start using it, things come up and you write a patch to handle this special case, a hack to fix that, an extension for this, an extension for that, and then...

XML has very limited and well-defined ways to deal with these kinds of issues, so that you don't have to keep reinventing the wheel and hope everyone else uses the same wheel (which we don't).