Re: a few short notes

2004-02-02 17:09:01

Martin Duerst wrote:

I have heard a lot of hype about XML, but the thing with the
'a dozen or so lines' is new. It's clear that there are bloated
XML tools, as there are bloated tools for anything, but
'a dozen or so lines' is far off the mark, in particular
if you include validation.

It's a text string. It's de-limited with tags. Tags are text surrounded by < and >. Sometimes they have /, " and = characters in them that change the way to treat either the tag, or the data inside the tag.

That's it. It's BECAUSE of the incredibly strict rules you have to follow that it is easy to write tools that handle XML.

If you can't write something like the above in say 12-20 lines, plus standard #include'ed files in C (stdio.h), perhaps you'd like to consider hiring me as a consultant? :-)

Now, if you then want to check your XML against an externally held XSD or DTD, then yes, you're right it's going to be more than a dozen lines. More like 50-100 or so.

--
Paul Robinson