mhonarc-users

re: Attachment Filenames.

1997-06-09 11:45:03
Date: 9 Jun 97 11:40:39 EDT
From: KMcCann(_at_)idrc(_dot_)ca
Subject: re: Attachment Filenames.
To: mhonarc(_at_)rosat(_dot_)mpe-garching(_dot_)mpg(_dot_)de

Earl may have other reasons which he may cite, but my reasoning as to why
he may have done that is because
you could run into duplicate filename scenarios. Also, I get the feeling
that some filnames are not "deducable". Some of my attachments have the tag
as simply "Binary Data" (rather than a filename tag). Perhaps Earl can
touch on that one.

Yes, this was my understanding, and I wasn't disagreeing that it was a bad
scheme, for it makes a lot of good sense. I personally thought it would be very
easy for the user clicking on the Anchor HREF to type the file in. However, my
management does not. ;)

So once again this leaves me with the need to hack something. Now, I have
received a few URLs that return anchors that are indeed the same as the file's
name:

http://www.oac.uci.edu/indiv/ehood/mhamimeeg/complex.html
http://thorin.pds.it/network/archivi/network/msg00241.html

One is of course in Italian, so I couldn't understand the nature of the list,
but that's not important; what's important is that it has been done.

So, does anyone out there have any solutions?

Jordan Ritter
Systems Administrator
E.M.C.S., AMP Inc.
Harrisburg, PA, USA