mhonarc-users

Re: Qn about a interesting but slight mis-use of mhonarc

2002-05-04 21:57:54
On May 4, 2002 at 13:58, Nathaniel Irons wrote:

On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 03:12:02PM +0100, Ed Wildgoose wrote:

I have a user who would like a webpage produced in the style of web logs
such as blogger, etc.  Because they have very poor internet connectivity
and will be assumed to want easy HTML creation, the obvious way to let
them update their webpage seems to be to accept submissions via email

Not to discourage anyone from creative repurposing of MHonArc, but
weblog tools being better suited to weblog tasks than non-weblog
tools, the obvious way to let this person update a weblog is to use
weblog tools via the Blogger XML-RPC interface.

This URL appears to be invalid.

It's supported by every weblog package with which I'm acquainted, and
the connectivity requirements of sending the XML-RPC message are in
line with the requirements of sending an email.  There are a number of
GUI tools for speaking the wire format from various platforms (and on
the Mac, I can attest that XML-RPC is built into the Apple Event
Manager, for easy access from code or scripts).

The issue comes with what is the desired usage.  It can be considered
nicer for some to be able to just use the mail software they always
use instead of having to use yet another piece of software to do
something that is similiar to composing email.  For example, if the
weblog is just an additional side-effect of email-based communication,
then messing with blogger software seems pointless.

--ewh