mhonarc-users

Format=Flowed

2002-10-24 13:54:21
I'm trying to understand the format parameter in text/plain messages, and how format=flowed is handled by MHonArc.

This is an extract from RFC2646:
      Starts          Ends in
      with            One or             Line
      Quote           More Spaces        Type
      no              no                 unquoted, fixed
      yes             no                 quoted,   fixed
      no              yes                unquoted, flowed
      yes             yes                quoted,   flowed

According to the table, a line that does not end with a space shall be displayed in fixed format, whether it starts with the '>' character or not.

MHonArc seems to put only *quoted* lines that not end with a space within <pre></pre> elements, while other such lines are displayed with the default font. (The 'nonfixed' argument is not set. Tested with Perl 5.00503 freebsd and 5.6.1 MSWin32.)

I have tried to follow the code in mhtxtplain.pl for the flowed format, but it's too much for me... ;-) Since I'm using Mozilla Mail, which seems to set format=flowed whether I like it or not, I'm extra interested in understanding this better.

Anyone who can bring some light on this topic?

/ Gunnar