Improving attachment viewing

2002-11-19 22:30:05
  I've changed the Subject and included
mh-e-devel(_at_)lists(_dot_)sourceforge(_dot_)net
  since we've spent the last year improving MIME handling in Gnus since
  raw MH wouldn't work for us. We should be able to provide some
  suggestions which would allow us to use more MH and less Gnus. Peter?
  Satyaki?

Jon Steinhart <jon(_at_)fourwinds(_dot_)com> wrote:

My interest in m_getfld is because I'd like to experiment with the way
that attachments are shown. It'd be interesting to get a bit of
discussion on this. Basically, I don't like the way that message parts
are treated differently than messages. To me, there's little
difference between receiving a message with two attachments and three
messages. I'd like to see an indented scan that shows something like

5785+ 11/19 Eric Gillespie     Re: The continuing install-mh saga<<Jon
Steinhar
 .1   <image/jpeg>
 .2   <image/jpeg>

ant then be able to do show/next/prev on stuff. I find it really
annoying to have all body parts displayed in a single batch,
especially those that involve some interaction to get rid of, like
closing an image viewer.

  This might be an intriguing option to some, but it should not be the
  default. I wouldn't enable it. There is too much crap out there that
  would pollute the scan listing and make it awkward to read mail
  quickly. I can safely say that I do not view the majority of
  attachments I receive and considering them as separate messages would
  simply add the to (often oppressive) pile of mail. Consider all the
  midi and html attachments in spam, and winmail.dat attachments, and
  vCards, and multipart/encrypted which you would want to present as a
  single message rather than the pieces. To name just a few.

  You'll be sure to generate some good ideas though. Capture them in a
  Feature Request at Savannah.

--
Bill Wohler <wohler(_at_)newt(_dot_)com>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG
ID:610BD9AD