Re: Improving attachment viewing

2002-11-20 09:30:04
Bill Wohler <wohler(_at_)newt(_dot_)com> wrote:

  I've changed the Subject and included
mh-e-devel(_at_)lists(_dot_)sourceforge(_dot_)net
  since we've spent the last year improving MIME handling in Gnus since
  raw MH wouldn't work for us. We should be able to provide some
  suggestions which would allow us to use more MH and less Gnus. Peter?
  Satyaki?

Satyaki might have ideas pertinent to the display, but (for nmh coders
who haven't tried MH-E recently) essentially all we're doing is parsing
a MIME messages and displaying the parts.  We don't do anything special
with scan output, only when we display a message.  It's all done in
lisp, and we use gnus internals to do most of the work.

Where we're had to move away from nmh towards gnus is in MIME
composition (e.g. for the ability to specify inline/attachment).

I don't think we'd want MH-E scan listings to mention attachments on
separate lines. Since we offer a more user-friendly access to
attachments in the show buffer, it's not something that we'd gain a lot
from.

It might be nice to be able to output a character in a scan column if
attachments are present.  MH-E could even replace that character with a
paperclip glyph or something to pretty it up.

           I wouldn't enable it. There is too much crap out there that
  would pollute the scan listing and make it awkward to read mail
  quickly.

I agree.  It might be instructive to count the count of attachments in
typical messages and in typical SPAM.  You wouldn't like the occasional
SPAM message to fill a scan page.

Peter