[Nmh-workers] (OT) On the road to vi... (was "nmh current development")

2005-05-12 08:47:22
On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 04:03:26PM -0700, Bill Wohler wrote:
Hi Chad, I don't quite read that. Should I be laughing, crying, or
smiling contently? ;-)

Heh.  Way back in the day, I used to be an emacs nut.  In fact, while
using Microsoft Word to write tech docs at my first job, I often
printed 10 copies of the document I was working on and created
multiple new documents, all within the span of a couple seconds (C-p &
C-n, respectively).

I once asked my boss if I could install emacs on the DEC OSF/1 we were
using as a development platform.  He stoutly refused, stating that our
development environment should be no different than the production
environment, and emacs was under no circumstances going to be
installed on the production machine.  Thus ended my emacs use and my
forced conversion to vi.

Luckily, ViM was gaining some momentum, so we could install it on
Windows NT workstations.  The DEC vi editor lacked many of the
features of ViM, but at least I was getting used to the mode switching
paradigm.  By the end of the year, I was happily hacking away in vi,
changing my bash command-line environment over, and changing all of my
default editors at my ISP to use vi.  Since then, I've tried to use
emacs once or twice, but I missed the economy of keystrokes that vi
gives you.

Emacs isn't bad or evil, just different (it wore out my left pinky
finger on DEC and Sun keyboards, though). *grin*

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie(_at_)wookimus(_dot_)net>
http://www.wookimus.net/