[Nmh-workers] Re: MH FAQ

2005-10-09 10:23:21
Seems like I can proceed...

I've included the current nmh FAQ below and have annotated each
question with my intended action and why. If your opinion differs from
mine, please let me know.

1) What is nmh?

    nmh (new MH) is an electronic mail handling system.  It is based on
    version 6.8.3 of the MH message system originally developed by the
    RAND Corporation and the University of California.

[Delete. Covered by 1.1 and 1.2.]

2) Is it nmh, Nmh, nMH, NMH?

   It's nmh.  Richard Coleman hates capital letters.

[Delete. Just ensure our docs are consistent.]

3) Who is developing nmh?

   Richard Coleman (coleman@math.gatech.edu) started the nmh project.
   After he grew too busy to continue maintaining it, it was handed off
   to the net at large. Doug Morris (doug@mhost.com) hosted the web
   site and mailing lists, web pages, and CVS repository for a long
   time.  More recently, the CVS repository has moved to Savannah
   (http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/nmh) and Ken Hornstein
   (kenh@pobox.com) is the project maintainer.

[Merge into 1.2.]

4) Why did Richard start the nmh project?

   He reponds:

       For several reasons.
       a) It's an interesting project.
       b) I like using MH/nmh.
       c) I wanted to increase the portability of MH.
       d) I wanted to make MH easier to install (convert to autoconf).
       e) I wanted to remove all the unnecessary junk from the
          MH distribution (pop daemon, bulletin board support, etc...).
       f) UCI seems to have abandoned MH, so someone needed to pick up
          the slack.

[Delete. Item f is the best reason and already covered in 1.2.]

5) What is the copyright status of nmh?

   nmh is distributed under a variant of the classical BSD copyright.
   Check the COPYRIGHT file in the nmh distribution for the details.
   There are some specific files which were contributed to the original
   MH package that are copyrighted by their original author.  We have
   retained the copyright notices of these authors in these files.

   Essentially, you can do anything you want with the nmh package as long
   as you don't blame us if it trashes all your mail.

[Add.]

6) What is the difference between nmh and MH?

   Check the file DIFFERENCES in the nmh distribution for the
   (ever growing) list of differences between nmh and MH.

[Merge into 1.2.]

7) Where do I get nmh?

    The latest version of nmh is available at
    http://savannah.gnu.org/download/nmh

[Delete. Covered in 1.3.]

8) Where is the nmh web page?

    The nmh home page is located at
    http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/nmh/

[Delete. Covered in 1.4. I've listed it as http://www.nongnu.org/nmh/
which seems like a more friendly entry point than
http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/nmh/. Thoughts?]

9) Where is the nmh mailing list?

    There is a mailing list for nmh development at:
    nmh-workers@mhost.com

    To subscribe, send e-mail to the administrative address:
    nmh-workers-request@mhost.com

    with the subject "subscribe" (without the quotes).

[Delete. Obsolete, and correct information is covered in 1.4.]

10) Is there an archive of the nmh-workers mailing list?

    There are, but they are only available if you are subscribed to
    the mailing list as well. This is done to try to prevent
    harvesting of email addresses for spam lists. For information on
    how to use the archive, see the MAILING-LISTS file in the docs
    subdirectory of the distribution.

[Delete. Covered in 1.4.]

11) Where do I report bugs in nmh?

    Send bug reports and suggestions to
    nmh-bugs@mhost.com

[Delete. Obsolete and covered in 1.7.]

12) Which mail transfer agents (MTA's) are supported?

    The default setup for nmh is to use SMTP, so nmh should work with
    most MTA's that provide a standard SMTP connection on port 25.
    Also you may configure nmh to use a sendmail interface (still
    uses SMTP) by editing the mts.conf file.  There is also a configure
    option (--enable-pop) to include client-side support for POP.

[Delete. Is this really a FAQ?]

13) Why does `folder' and `flist' overlook some of my subfolders?

    There was a bug in these commands which caused them to quit
    searching a folder for subfolders too early, if the folder contained
    subfolders which were symbolic links.  This has been improved in
    nmh-0.25, but `folder' and `flist' will still not recurse into
    folders that contain only symbolic links.

[Add to section 3.]

14) Why doesn't the (X)Emacs package `mh-e' work with
    nmh?

    In nmh, the default location of things have changed.  Also the MH
    lib directory has been split into a `etc' directory (containing
    configuration files and components), and a `lib' directory
    (containing support binaries).  So sometimes mh-e has trouble
    finding the components skeleton for composing new mail or replies.
    Depending on the install location of nmh at your site, you will
    need to add something similar to the following to your .emacs file.
    The lines for `mh-comp-formfile' and `mh-repl-formfile' should point
    to your personal copies of these files (if you have them) or else
    point to the default nmh versions.

    ;; set a few mh-e variables for nmh
    (setq mh-progs "/usr/local/nmh/bin/")
    (setq mh-lib "/usr/local/nmh/lib/")
    (setq mh-comp-formfile "/usr/local/nmh/etc/components")
    (setq mh-repl-formfile "/usr/local/nmh/etc/replcomps")

{Delete. Obsolete with newer versions of MH-E. Also, MH-E FAQs covered
elsewhere (http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=13357&atid=213357).]