configure.in should AC_PREREQ(2.50) (was: Re: [Nmh-workers] RC4 testing)

2005-10-25 07:14:55
Jon Steinhart wrote:
So, just out of curiosity, who out there is testing RC4?
Please speak up if you are, so that I know who to check
back with later.  If nobody is testing it other than me
I'm gonna just go ahead and release it!

I thought I'd better give it a whirl, and here's a bug report :-)
[I assume reporting them to the mailing list is reasonable; let
me know if you'd rather have them in the savannah bug tracking
thingy or something.]

The configure.in doesn't work with autoconf 2.13:

mnementh$ autoconf2.50
mnementh$ autoconf2.13
autoconf: Undefined macros:
configure.in:574:    [AC_COMPILE_IFELSE([AC_LANG_PROGRAM([[#include <stdlib.h>

This is fine (you only want to run autoconf if you're a developer),
but you should say that you require 2.50:

AC_PREREQ(2.50)

This is because Debian at least ships with 'autoconf' being a wrapper
script that looks at the configure.in and uses heuristics to decide
which version of autoconf to use (so you can have both installed to
cope with old programs that haven't updated as well as new programs
that require the new features). If you don't say AC_PREREQ then the
wrapper assumes 2.13 is OK, which in this case it isn't...

-- PMM