Re: [Nmh-workers] things still to fix for this release?

2005-11-09 11:13:26
Tet wrote:
Oliver Kiddle writes:
.PHONY is a GNU make specific feature. We need to make the install target
depend on something that will either be newer than the INSTALL file or
that won't conflict with an existing real file.

Not a problem, surely? If you're not using GNU make, then it'll look for
a (presumably non-existent) file called ".PHONY", and hence the rule will
trigger anyway, with exactly the same effect.

Wrong way round: the syntax is
  .PHONY: install uninstall

so a non-GNU make will just ignore the line (unless you're dumb enough
to say 'make .PHONY' :-)).

I notice that the GNU make info manual claims that this:

install uninstall: FORCE

# rule with no prerequisites or commands, and there's no file 'FORCE':
FORCE:

has the same effect, and doesn't rely on GNU make extensions.
We should check that that works on Mac OS X and use that, I think.

-- PMM