Forwarded messages attachment headers (was Re: [Nmh-workers] Should attachment header handling be in send?)

2006-02-02 20:25:29
How 'bout this?  Why not add another option similar to the -attach
option that I added to whatnow and send?  Why not add a -forward
option that would specify the name of another header that would be used
for forwarding messages.  So, for example, if you had in your profile

      repl:           -forward X-MH-Forward
      forw:           -forward X-MH-Forward
      send:           -attach X-MH-Attachment -forward X-MH-Forward
      whatnow:        -attach X-MH-Attachment

then if you were reading message inbox/10 and did a repl -mime it would
add the header

I think it might be nicer to mimic the syntax of the #forw directive
here, i.e. be able to say

There are a couple of reasons for this. Firstly, it allows for grouping
of forwarded message into digests, which is exactly what the #forw
directive allows. Secondly, it might be nice to permit the full power
of message ranges and sequences to be used.

As far as I can tell it does not make the implementation any more difficult,
since mhbuild still does all the work. I also think it is not any more
difficult to read, so it satisfies the aim of keeping these headers
intelligible. I think it's a little easier to read, in fact.

Cheers,

        - Joel