Re: [Nmh-workers] The invisible mail folder

2007-02-26 14:47:47
Joel Reicher <joel@panacea.null.org> writes:
    Date:        Mon, 26 Feb 2007 14:07:47 +1100
    From:        Joel Reicher <joel@panacea.null.org>

  | In fact, there looks to be a host of inconsistent behaviour. "+/" will
  | scan the root *directory*. "+.." does *not* scan the directory above
  | the folder root, but rather the directory above that. "+." scans the
  | directory above the folder root.

That's not what I see.   scan +. for me scans the current folder,
scan +.. scans the parent of the current folder.   scan +/ certainly
attempts to scan the root directory, but that's no different than
scan +/any/absolute/path which is needed when you want to look in
someone else's MH folders (assuming, of course, that you have permission).
ps: I am using a slightly old version of nmh ...
  scan -- nmh-1.0.4 [compiled on lilac.noi.kre.to at Sat Jan 24 12:50:44 UTC
2004]

I'm using the CVS code, and I made some changes to the folder path
processing a while ago, so it's more than likely the inconsistent
behaviour has been introduced (by me) since 1.0.4.

If everyone's happy with "+" meaning the folder root and "@" meaning
the current folder and anything following being interpreted the same
as any pathspec would be then I'll clean up the code and try to get
around to making sure it's documented properly too.

NO. I'm not quite happy with that, in that I would prefer
that

    + foobar

mean the same thing as +foobar. That way wild card expansion in shell scripts
and file name completion in interactive shells would be much easier.

    Norman Shapiro
    798 Barron Avenue
    Palo Alto CA 94306-3109
    (650) 565-8215