Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh in near, medium, and far-term

2011-12-10 19:56:53
On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 12:27:00 +0100, Yoshi Rokuko said:

I disagree, one should break up the MIME parts. There is not value in
keeping MIME beasts in your file system. If it's encrypted MIME there
should be a command that decrypts and detangles mails. Why store a
mail encrypted on your encrypted hard drive, I always decrypt and verify
my mails only once.

Just because "decrypt and verify my mails only once" is a workable scheme for
you, doesn't mean it's the *only* way.

Unfortunately, for signed mails, it's quite often the case that you will need
to re-verify the signature at a later date.  If 6 months later you need to
produce the mail your boss sent, you're probably going to want to be able to
reproduce the signature too.

And note that you're making the assumption that the person has access to an
encrypted hard drive with the proper security characteristics, which may not
necessarily be the case.  (And yes, not all encrypted hard drives are created
equal - just because a given encryption scheme is appropriate for most of your
work, doesn't mean it's appropriate for sensitive data).