Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh in near, medium, and far-term

2011-12-10 06:47:59
Hi Ken,

MIME breaks this.  If all textual parts were stored in UTF-8 on disk
things would improve once again.  Perhaps even a mail/inbox/42 for a
UTF-8 summary of the email, headers and the body laid out as text
where possible, and a mail/inbox/42/... with the headers and each
part as a separate file, including sub-directories where needed,
e.g.  ~/mail/inbox/42/foo.png exists.  Plan 9 had something along
these lines.  http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/4/upasfs

I thought about breaking up the MIME parts, but I decided that the
problem with that was that I believe there is value to still having
the original message around.

You're right, there is.  In regurgitating long ago thoughts I ommitted
that bit.  It could be available under a path that was easily excluded
at the command line.

Cheers, Ralph.