[Nmh-workers] parts is parts

2011-12-11 20:10:02
coming into this late, will try to summarize.

On 12/10/2011 11:27 AM, Yoshi Rokuko wrote:
Earl Hood:
Just think of SMIME, PGP, DKIM, et.al. Preserving the original
message is handy whenever one needs to (re)verify the message that
are signed or encrypted.
I disagree, one should break up the MIME parts. There is not value in
keeping MIME beasts in your file system.

i think this debate ended with "we need direct file access to both the
original message as received, and its mime parts". which is not
particularly realistic unless we have lightweight file systems or some
other way to expose as "file names" those mime parts, or unless we keep
both the original and the parts, and name them in a way that shell
scripts can iterate through a folder without seeing both the originals
and the decoded parts.

more on this below. meanwhile:

If it's encrypted MIME there
should be a command that decrypts and detangles mails. Why store a
mail encrypted on your encrypted hard drive, I always decrypt and verify
my mails only once.

i never decrypt in my inbox. if i want to read something later, i'll
decrypt it again. the sender may have encrypted it in order to protect
eavesdropping, in which case there's a short period of time that it will
be on the wire and a really long (infinite, so far as i know) period of
time that it sits in my inbox. it should remain encrypted except when
needed, since my inbox may be on a thrown-away hard drive or backup tape
at some point, beyond my control.

I would love this, obscure mails arrive and the system converts them
into what I prefer - separate files, all text utf8 and so on ... ;-)

so, me too. but if we're considering alternative storage schemes we have
to worry about innovation. as in, will we just adopt Maildir which works
pretty well and is already implemented by a lot of people, or will we
invent something new and have MH be its only user in the early decades.
i'm not up for disruptive innovation in the field of mail storage. what
i could easily imagine is a mime conversion utility that replaced
in-line attachments with external attachments that were just file system
path names like ~/Maildir.parts/$foo where $foo was just a unique
meaningless string similar to Maildir/$foo pathnames. that way if i
decide to view or forward the message it can pick up all the decoded
parts. this would be optional of course, but i believe that even
Maildir-compatible IMAP servers would be able to display such
attachments, yet there they would be for our awk scripts to use if we
wanted to do that.