Re: [Nmh-workers] Dealing with missing From: header during send.

2012-01-11 10:16:46
ken wrote:
I've been thinking about this, though, and I think that I'd be happy
enough with being able to list email lists that I subscribe to in
my components file....
...  Picking a role for a new message is harder,
but not terrible with some extensions to comp.

these ideas would both be improvements on the status quo, but
i really don't want to have to list my mailing lists in my components
file.  i'd like the From: address, the Fcc: header, maybe Reply-to:,
etc, all to be fillable/replaceable using script output.  (i'm
thinking in the spirit of command expansion using $(...) in the shell.)

allowing for very general purpose substitution lets the user use
almost any tool they want to do their scripting -- if mh forgets to
provide some parameter the user needs (time of day?  is it a holiday?
am i on my laptop?), then they still have access to that information
via external mechanisms.  limiting me to regexps in the components
file seems, well, limiting.

paul

On the other hand, Tethys' X-Envelope-From is just Return-Path and should
be there already.

Yup, that's true.