Re: [Nmh-workers] Artificial argv limits.

2012-11-27 07:11:23
ralph wrote:
Hi Paul (Fox),

but looking at rmm.c, refile.c, and folder_delmsgs(), i don't think
that issue applies.  the patch below fixes the problem, and makes
rmmproc and refile do the right thing (well, at least, the modern
thing).  NB: i didn't test to the limit where execvp should return
E2BIG.

When you say it makes refile `do the right thing', do you mean refile
doesn't create copies of the emails if the future rmmproc can't be
invoked?  I'm guessing not from the patch's brevity.  :-)  That means
the user is left with many duplicate emails, most likely with different
numbers, hard-linked across two folders to clean up.

as far as i can tell, this was also true before my change.  are you
suggesting otherwise?

(one way to reduce the likelihood of this, and of the original
overflow issue, might be to pass the message arguments to rmmproc in
the same form that they were received by refile.  currently "refile
all" causes a call to rmmproc with a full enumeration of message
numbers.  if "refile all" instead caused "rmmproc all", on the
assumption that the same expansion would result, then the original
invocation of refile would be as likely to fail as rmmproc.  there are
probably subtleties to this i'm not getting right now.)

paul