Re: [Nmh-workers] Artificial argv limits.

2012-11-27 08:31:02
Ralph wrote:

David Levine wrote:
Paul F. wrote:
(one way to reduce the likelihood of this, and of the original
overflow issue, might be to pass the message arguments to rmmproc in
the same form that they were received by refile.  currently "refile
all" causes a call to rmmproc with a full enumeration of message
numbers.  if "refile all" instead caused "rmmproc all", on the
assumption that the same expansion would result, then the original
invocation of refile would be as likely to fail as rmmproc.  there
are probably subtleties to this i'm not getting right now.)

I think this should work.  rmmproc could call "pick <args>" to get the
same expansion.

It seems a bad idea to me.  It's just punting the expansion problem
further downstream.  A plain `pick <args>' would take my ~/.mh_profile
into account and my `lp', last picked, sequence would get trampled.
rmmproc's task is to deal with the files, that should be its interface.

Good point.  It would also break existing rmmproc's.

I saw your rmmprocopt later, that seems like the
best solution.

David