Re: [Nmh-workers] m_getfld

2012-12-09 19:40:28
now that i know it's "just" an rfc-822 header, it all makes sense.  ;-)
(it also totally dissuades me from trying to add real comment support.  ;-)

You now realize why rewriting m_getfld() is so important :-)

However, we did solve the comment problem in another way; we updated the
documentation for 1.5 to document the correct comment format (#:).  Which
as you'll note is simply a cheap hack, but avoids the curse of
Van Jacobson :-)

I will note that among all of the current people who have either
worked on or expressed interest in working on nmh, I think the only
one who has built up enough Internet Karma to avoid the curse would
be Paul Vixie :-)

Speaking of the devil ... Paul Vixie writes:

Given that we no longer use pdp11, we can afford the code space
of a config file reader that knows comments and lacks the other
rfc822 features not used in config files and has reasonable error
messages. Let's start by removing those callers of getfld by giving them
something better to call instead.

Sounds fine to me.  I think the only RFC822-ish feature we really need is
line continuation.