Re: [Nmh-workers] m_getfld

2012-12-09 22:38:30
On 2012-12-10 2:17 AM, David Levine wrote:
Paul V. wrote:

Given  that  we no longer use pdp11, we can afford the code space of a
config  file  reader  that  knows  comments and lacks the other rfc822
features  not  used in config files and has reasonable error messages.
Let's  start  by  removing  those  callers  of  getfld  by giving them
something better to call instead.
Yes!

i'm taking that as approval by people who will variously do the work of:

1. getting all non-rfc822-reading callers of m_getfld() to call
something else;
2. removing any m_getfld code that was just for those callers, even if
it means removing arguments from all other calls to m_getfld;
3. teaching m_getfld to never try to go behind the veil of stdio's api;
4. teaching m_getfld to stop optimizing for the vax pcc.

this would be a gigantic improvement, droll though it sounds here. if
m_getfld only did one thing, portably, then we could look very hard at
it and decide if a different api would serve that one purpose better.

right now the hairball is both above and below the m_getfld call frame.

paul