Re: [Nmh-workers] Setting minimum automake version.

2012-12-30 17:29:30
There's plenty about. The 2.61 requirement already necessitates
compiling autoconf on RHEL5 (which only has up to 2.59). It's
a pain in the arse, but I can live with it. Unless there's a
*significant* benefit in switching, I'd suggest sticking with
what we have now, rather than arbitrarily making a self-compiled
autoconf necessary on more systems than we already have now.

I feel your pain, I do ... but seriously?  2.59?  That was released in
December ... of 2003.  That's 90 years old in Internet time.  And like
Lyndon said, it only affects people who compile from the git repo.  Okay,
I'm one of those people so I'm not in love with the idea of creating
more pain for myself, much less others ... but it seems like it's time.

There is actually some new stuff in automake, at least, that I am interested
in taking advantage of.  Ok, I'm not particularly itching to upgrade right
now, but since Lyndon is forcing the issue I can't really come up with any
good reasons to say no.