Re: [Nmh-workers] Limit of 27 messages sequences per folder

2013-03-26 09:05:06
i think we should do away with anything that cares about the number of
bits in an integer. if a bit vector is seriously still the right way to
represent sequences internally -- which i doubt! -- then i'll suggest
using <bitstring.h> which i wrote for cron back when MH was young. it's
present on pretty much all bsd systems and i think linux too.

It's not the implementation of the bitvector that really matters here,
I think, at least in the short term.  I'm open to hearing about other
data structures for storing the flags/sequences internally.  The
attractiveness of Norm's suggestion is that it's literally a one-line
change.

Valdis writes:
If you access your ~/Mail over NFS from a mixture of 32 and 64 bit boxes
with a mix of old and new nmh's with different limits, Something Evil
will happen to your .mh_sequences....

I double-checked my earlier assertion, and it turns out I was correct.
The "extra" sequence(s) silently gets ignored upon read by older utilities
and will be deleted when the sequence file is updated.  Is that Something
Evil?  Depends on your perspective, I suppose.  I think it's behavior
I could live with.