Re: [Nmh-workers] Limit of 27 messages sequences per folder

2013-03-27 17:02:26
because it will grow the heap on any moderate sized message set, like
"all" in a 10000-message inbox?

we pay this cost per-message whenever we're processing a range. fd_set
is too large a fixed cost. the pdp11 users who chose "int" for this were
trying to do things in a minimalistic way.

re:

Michael Richardson wrote:
"Paul" == Paul Vixie <paul(_at_)redbarn(_dot_)org> writes:
    Paul> we could replace this with a fixed array of u_char and some
    Paul> index-and-shift macros, sort of like "struct fd_set" in
    Paul> select(2). in

Can anyone think of a reason why using fd_set isn't just the right
thing?   It is 1024 bits on most systems (256 on others), and a #define
usually lets it get bigger.